News & Blogs

Making Life Less Taxing For All UK Non Residents

Do You Need To Bother Making A Tax Return As A Non-UK Resident?

As vaccinations become widely available around the world, the reopening of borders will follow and so will an influx of individuals into the UK. If you, and your loved ones, have been enjoying the best of both worlds working whilst earning income in the UK as a non-UK resident landlord, or in other ways, you may be faced with sudden life changes that you cannot control. Job loss, family matters or other considerations may pressure you to change your non-UK tax resident’s status. A good, professional non-UK resident tax advisor, like The Taxman UK, can help you, and your loved ones, to make your non-UK resident tax return so you can keep enjoying the best of both worlds.

Establishing your non-UK tax residence status

It is important for you, and your loved ones, to be aware that even if you are officially a resident of another country, you may still be a tax resident in the UK. The HMRC uses its Statutory Residence Test to determine whether you are a tax resident. This includes a number of factors and you can read over the details for non-UK tax residents and see if you pass the test, or you can ask a non-UK resident tax advisor to do this and confirm your status. A common, and possibly expensive, non-UK resident mistake is to read about tax status on the internet, make your own decision, and get it wrong. Establishing your non-UK tax residence status can be complicated, so why not ask one of our experienced, qualified non-UK tax advisors at The Taxman UK for some good advice. Getting it wrong can lead to penalties and unexpected tax bills.

Make a Self Assessment non-UK resident tax return

When you have confirmed that you, and your loved ones, are non-UK resident for tax you may still need to make a Self Assessment tax return for the income you have received during a tax year. The UK tax year begins on 6th April and ends on 5th April. If the HMRC deems that you are required to fill in a Self Assessment tax return, they will send you a notification once the tax year has ended. This must be submitted by October 31st (by paper) or January 31st the following year online. Tax years in other countries often start from January 1st, so multiple countries can get complicated. Any tax payments in the UK will be due by 31st January. You may also need to make a payment on account on 31st July. So why not ask a good, professional non-UK tax advisor, like The Taxman UK, to make a self assessment non-UK tax return for you, and your loved ones. If you file, or pay, your Self Assessment after the 31st January you will incur a penalty. The most efficient way to get all this done, without mistakes, is to ask a good, professional non-UK tax advisor, like The Taxman UK, to assist you.

Please don’t hesitate to contact one of our experienced non-UK resident tax advisors by sending us an enquiry at for an initial consultation. Good tax advice will save you time, money and stress, whether you think that you need to make a non-UK resident tax return or not.   

The Taxman UK  Making Life Less Taxing for non-UK residents”